I am very pleased that 2009 is nearing an end and I am sure that most of you will agree that it was, without a doubt, one of the most challenging years on record for the homebuilding industry. While 2010 may not be a stellar year, it is the start on the road to recovery and will allow us to be prepared for 2011 and beyond which should be increasingly good years for housing. My last blog (http://tinyurl.com/yak6bfb) suggested some new year’s resolutions for new home sales professionals but our sales teams cannot, by themselves, do everything that needs to be done to correct all of the challenges facing new construction. So here are some suggested resolutions for homebuilders and developers so that 2010 is the year when we start do things right in the homebuilding industry, sell more homes and make some money.
1. We will invest in ourselves, in our people and in our future by regularly performing and updating our market studies to provide intelligent strategic planning for 2010 and beyond and make the necessary tactical adjustments as the market dictates;
2. We will design new housing products that reflect the wants and needs of the viable target markets and we will revise and update those designs on a regular ongoing basis so that we are always offering something “new” to the market;
3. We will create a Unique Selling Proposition for our homes and our communities that visibly and positively differentiates us from the competition;
4. We will create a specific market position for our housing product lines and make certain that what we deliver is what we intended and what the market desires;
5. We will design and develop true communities, not subdivisions – environments that respect and preserve the environment and provide our homebuyers with attractive lifestyle opportunities;
6. We will recognize the talents of our new home salespeople, appreciate their hard work and dedication and give them the support, education, training, management and recognition that they need to excel and we will listen to these new home sales professionals and respect their input as they speak for the homebuilding market including both our homebuyers and our “almost” homebuyers;
7. We will create true trade partnerships with our suppliers and subcontractors to provide the highest possible quality in new construction at the most reasonable cost and we will share our success in long-term relationships with our partners;
8. We will market our new homes and our new communities intelligently and effectively with professional web sites, appropriate web-based advertising (as our first media choice) and active and creative presence on all of the social media sites.
Let’s take this opportunity to start a new year with the new habits that emphasize the professionalism that will lead us to success and profit in 2010 and beyond for the homebuilding industry (which just happens to be the title of the program I am leading at IBS in Las Vegas). So if you are attending the International Builders Show, please stop by to say hello – “Profiting in 2010 and Beyond”, Tuesday, January 19th, 1:30 to 3:00 PM, Room South 220 with an encore presentation on Friday, January 22nd, 8:00 to 9:30 AM, Room South 228.
To all my readers, best wishes for a happy, healthy and prosperous new year!
Please visit our company web site for information on Levitan & Associates and how we can assist you with strategic marketing for the homebuilding and residential development industry. And please also consider following us on Twitter – http://twitter.com/DanielLevitan.