Hey kids, what time is it? No, it’s not Howdie Doody time, it’s time for 2010 and the New Year which brings a chance to do things right as new home sales professionals.
Personally, I am happy that 2009 is drawing to a close and I am certain that many of you who have decided to make a career in new construction share that feeling for it certainly has been one of the most challenging years on record for the homebuilding industry. So let’s make some resolutions for the New Year to aid our success in 2010.
1. We will adopt a positive attitude which should be easy as 2010 is guaranteed to be better than 2009 for residential development and new construction;
2. We will work smarter and harder – we are professionals in new home sales so we will repeat our successes and learn from our “almost successes”;
3. We will come to work every morning with a smile on our face and a song in our heart, ready to sell a product that people actually want and need;
4. We will believe that every visitor that comes in the door of our new community is a prospective purchaser and treat them with warmth, courtesy and professionalism;
5. We will regularly follow-up with every visitor in a timely manner by email, by phone and by snail mail and we will continue that follow-up until they buy;
6. We will generate at least 25% of the traffic to our community ourselves by prospecting, utilizing our visitors and purchasers as a referral source, aggressively working the Realtor® community and by making ourselves visible on the web through active and intelligent social media programs;
7. We will regularly shop all of the competitive new construction in our area and share the knowledge gained with our manager as well as use it to plan our improved sales strategies;
8. We will schedule a half day session with our builder to walk through our new homes with our competitive report in hand and learn the specifics of our homebuilding techniques and systems and how they create a superior residential product for our purchasers;
9. We will close, we will close and, again, we will close the sale for that is what we do – we are new home sales professionals.
Let’s not be one of those people who look forward to the New Year for a new start on old habits. Instead, let’s take this opportunity to start a new year with new habits that emphasize the professionalism that lead us to success and profit in 2010 and beyond for the homebuilding industry (which just happens to be the title of the program I am leading at IBS in Las Vegas). So if you are attending the International Builders Show, please stop by to say hello – “Profiting in 2010 and Beyond”, Tuesday, January 19th, 1:30 to 3:00 PM, Room South 220 with an encore presentation on Friday, January 22nd, 8:00 to 9:30 AM, Room South 228.
To all my readers, best wishes for a happy, healthy and prosperous new year!
And please visit our company web site for information on Levitan & Associates and how we can assist you with strategic marketing for the homebuilding and residential development industries.